U=UUndetectable = Untransmittable
Undetectable = Untransmittable
The science is clear.
People living with HIV can feel confident that if they have an undetectable viral load and take their medications as prescribed, they will not pass on HIV to sexual partners. U=U means Undetectable = Untransmittable.
U=U offers freedom and hope. For many people living with HIV and their partners, U=U opens up social, sexual, and reproductive choices they never thought would be possible. It is an unprecedented opportunity to transform the lives of people with HIV and the field:
- Reduces the shame and fear of sexual transmission and opens up possibilities for conceiving children without alternative means of insemination.
- Dismantles HIV stigma on the community, clinical, and personal level.
- Encourages people living with HIV to start and stay on treatment to keep them and their partners healthy.
- Offers a strong public health argument for universal access to diagnostics, treatment, and care to save lives and bring us closer to ending the epidemic.
If you are living with HIV take control of your life with medication adherence and a goal to be virally undetectable.
If you love someone living with HIV, celebrate that you too are protected if your partner has an undetectable viral load.
- CDC – The Journey To Undetectable Brochure
- CDC – HIV Treatment as Prevention
- Prevention Access Campaign